Shades vs. Blinds: Which Are Right for You?
If it’s time to update the window treatments in your home, then you’ve probably realized just how many options you have available. You can choose window shades, which cover your windows with elegant folds of gentle fabrics. Or, you can adorn your windows with trendy blinds that block the light and provide you with the privacy you need. If you’re like most homeowners, however, you probably find yourself balking at the sheer number of choices, which you can boil down to one foundational question: Will window shades or window blinds work best for your home?
At the end of the day, both shades and blinds offer homeowners privacy and light control. However, each of these options do provide homeowners with unique benefits. For example:
Few window treatments offer you the same sort of exact control as blinds. That’s because you can operate blinds precisely, twisting the slats to angle sunlight onto your favorite napping spot or up towards the ceiling. Alternatively, if you want to maximize your views, you can open your window blinds completely by stacking the slats against the top of the window.
While the greatest strength of window blinds is their operability, you shouldn’t discount their style. In fact, the most admirable quality of these window treatments is their versatility—window blinds possess a simple enough profile that, provided the right finish, they will suit virtually any style of décor. What’s more, they pair well with drapes and top treatments, giving you functionality without sacrificing beauty.
While blinds are renowned for their versatility, custom window shades can be personalized to perfectly suit your décor. Start by choosing a style:
- Cellular shades – These window treatments consist of collapsible fabric cells, which present a neat profile when closed and virtually disappear against the top of the window when opened.
- Roman shades – Those looking for more traditional and elegant window treatments often invest in Roman shades. Bolts of fabric fold gently when the shades are opened, or make a bold statement when the shades are closed.
- Natural woven shades – Made from natural fibers woven thickly together, these window shades will provide any room with an anchoring element.
- Sheer shades – Do you want to fill your room with gentle, diffused light? Sheer shades will give your room an airy appearance.
- Roller shades – Of all window treatments, roller shades offer the most versatility when it comes to their style. A single panel of fabric hangs flush against the window when closed and disappears against the top of the window when opened.
And when you purchase custom window shades, you’ll be able fine tune every element of your window treatments to suit your style. With so many fabric and style combinations available, you’ll be able make sure your shades feel like an organic extension of your existing décor.
When it comes to privacy and light control, you’ll find that different shades provide different options. Cellular shades and Roman shades can offer exceptional light control, with some fabric choices even providing blackout capabilities. Natural and sheer shades, on the other hand, preserve the warm glow of natural light even when closed.
Of course, if you want to choose the perfect window treatments for your Southern California home, it helps to partner with an experienced professional. Galaxy Draperies is the team to turn to! Contact us today to schedule a consultation.